• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Highest Point on the TransCanada Highway
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Highest Point on the TransCanada Highway
Highest Point on the TransCanada Highway 4 Years, 9 Months ago  
Growing up in Calgary, I have long heard the unbelievable fact, "Scott Lake Hill is the highest point on the Trans Canada Highway".

I have gone along with this story until it occurred to me that this fact is really easy to check. Logically, the highest point of the #1 would be the Great Divide, or Kicking Horse Pass. I have the topo map for Lake Louise, an altimeter watch and access to Google Earth.

Turns out, Scott Lake Hill is not the highest point of the #1 by a long shot. The elevation at Kicking Horse Pass is between 1640 m to 1680 m depending on the source. This puts it 250 m higher than the stated elevation of Scott Lake Hill of at 1410 m.

I have attached an image from Google Earth showing the elevation of major mountain passes along the primary route between Calgary to Vancouver (I opted for highway 5 over 1 west of Kamloops because you actually have to exit the #1 to not go on the #5 making it functionally the Trans Canada.)

If anyone has any idea how the Scott Lake Hill rumor got started, that would be very insightful.
Matthew Breakey
Admin
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2013/08/04 19:54 By 66876.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Highest Point on the TransCanada Highway 4 Years, 9 Months ago  
Hey Matt,
Thanks for the post and the information! Interesting! Yes, I took for granted without checking that Scott Lake hill was the highest point also. Though I heard a few years ago that it wasn't the highest point, I can't recall if an alternative was given but clearly I didn't give it much thought. Having been travelling through the Kicking Horse pass on occasion to visit family in Golden for nigh on 5 decades - the latest trip just this weekend, I can say that it has changed a lot and used to take a much lower trajectory at places in earlier years. I can't tell from your Google Earth snippit if that stretch might have changed. Maybe that's a possible reason...?
David Roe
Administrator
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop