• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Mount Wilson - Ski ascent of the direct route
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Mount Wilson - Ski ascent of the direct route
Mount Wilson - Ski ascent of the direct route 3 Years, 6 Months ago  
I have found this last winter punishing, I don't think I have had, in one season, so many failed ice climbing attempts due to weather, road closure or absent ice (8 out of my first 10 tries), so many consecutive days wandering around in a white-out (also 8), or been so wind burnt from multiple days in gale for winds that my nose peeled. It was a huge relief to finally go on a trip where the conditions were excellent. Temperatures were appropriate, visibility was beautiful, the winds generally light and the snow was stable enough and fun to ski.

Joad's Mount Wilson trip with Lyda and Barend was a joy to go on. Joad preparation spared no effort, everyone contributed where applicable and the conditions were excellent. An all around excellent trip.

We drove out to Saskatchewan River Crossing Saturday night, leaving lots of time to be asleep by 9 pm. Our 3:30 am wake-up was surprisingly easy and we were on our way by 4:30 am. There was no snow to the bottom of the avalanche gully, making for respectable travel in the dark. The avi-shoot was hard and we opted to boot crampon the entire thing although any Austrian could have easily skinned it. We were at the top by 8 am, just after the sun started to shine on the ridge above.

The descent down to the glacial basin below is steep, but fun skiing. Assessing avalanche hazard is difficult as the top is the steepest bit and a convex role, but once over, the shoot down is pleasant skiing. There was a hard wind slab under about 10 cm of softer snow. Luckily, the slope didn't heat up and the snow stayed dry all day.

We took a wide east line to the Wilson north ridge, which was a very mellow skin/ski on gentle angled slopes for 1000 vertical meters. Snow pack was 2.2 m at 2400 m and we crossed no crevasses on the glacier.

The summit ridge is corniced and contains a bizarre crevasse that crosses the ridge from the cornice to ridge crest. It appears that the glacier had ended by that point, so I'm not sure the origins of the crevasse. The summit ridge is airy due to a very steep slope on the right and cornices on the left, but skiable with ski crampons or walkable with crampons and ice ax. The summit views were beautiful.

We retraced our steps back to the car. Joad broke trail back-up the steep col where I was able to nap in the sun until it was my turn. I have to admit, It was really nice to have a nap in such a pleasant place and then sprint up a skin track to clear the slope as fast as possible. The ski back down the avalanche shoot was way better than expected. Only the top 10 cm had melted, and the crust was still supportive right down to the debris fan. I have skied iso-thermal avalanche shoots, I was very glad to not have to ski another.

The round trip time was 12.5 hours, elevation of 2210 m, distance of 21.1 km and a max speed of 80 km/hr. If anyone wants any information, gps track, maps or photos, please contact any of us.

plus.google.com/photos/10867271756621703.../6140546932489789729

Winter is not yet over, I think I'm going to draw ski mountaineering out for awhile longer yet.
Matthew Breakey
Admin
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop