• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Bug's to Rogers Traverse
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Bug's to Rogers Traverse
Bug's to Rogers Traverse 2 Years, 10 Months ago  
Had planned to ski the Haute Route this winter but things changed and we ended up skiing the Bug's to Rogers traverse instead. At some point I had promised myself that I would post some lessons learned on the trip to Europe so to share beta with others in the ACC that might be interested in doing the trip. Given that Europe didn't work out this year I will post some learnings from the traverse instead. Trip was 10 days from April 11 - 20.

Although we were able to spend four nights in huts (Kane, Malloy, Duncan and Glacier) we had five nights in the Mega Light. I don't think I would ever carry a four season tent again - loving how light the ML is and how easy it is to set up.

-15 degree bag was sufficient but a little chilly some nights.

We had two caches which we had a heli drop off. The second cache was raided by a pine martin. Maybe next time use 3/4" plywood for the boxes?

We banked 450ml of fuel for the three of us per day. Probably a little on the safe side but would have been perfect if we were stuck in bad weather.

Brought light boot crampons, ski crampons and a light mountaineering axe. Used everything except the boot crampons although they could be nice with different conditions.

For the rappels we just used our glacier rope (30m) and a 30m tag line which we picked up in the second cache. We used the tag line to bring up the belay device too and so only needed one, which didn't save much weight but it all adds up.

It helps to be nice with CMH (good Scotch works great). Mid trip heli bump!

Would have been nice to have a sat phone for weather updates. The radio we had crapped out but the Spot worked great for sending updates to friends and family.

Hmmm, maybe that is enough procrastinating at work? If anyone has any questions feel free to get in touch. Thanks for reading and hopefully some of this helps.
Luca
Luca Jungen
Fresh Poster
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop