• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Wheeler Hut Family Week-end
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Wheeler Hut Family Week-end
Wheeler Hut Family Week-end 3 Years, 8 Months ago  
I have been wanting to do this trip for years and finally all pieces fell into place. Our partial family of five (dad with kids 20, 13, 6, 3) left Calgary on Friday 12:40 p.m. Two stops were needed for the kids, so we got to the parking area by about 5 p.m. just after sunset. It was snowing, a good start! Hiked in with six backpacks and two sleds. My 3-year-old traveled on one of the sleds; 5 sleeping bags and 2 gallons of milk on the other... The first steeper part was a little icy - that's where lacking proper traction my 3-year-old gave up despite a strong start. We were probably the third family up there. The Syvertsens and Wilkinsons were already there for sure. At least two more families (Belangers, Flukers) showed up later.

Next morning the McCranks showed up too. After breakfast, everyone got out to play in the snow. We got about 15 cm of fresh during the last 24 h so it was perfect! Sledding, snow castle building, snowball fighting, chopping wood, everything. After cutting up a monster trunk, I pulled my 3-year-old around in a sled then went for a snowshoe.

Dinner: too much food! I was hoping to lose some weight on this backcountry trip, probably the opposite happened. But seriously, the food was plentiful and very good. My younger sons played all sorts of games with their new friends, it was a joy to watch them.

Sunday morning it was still snowing so I decided to get my skis from the car before breakfast. Breakfast was even better than the day before with fresh fruit on the menu! After hanging out a little with the other families (topics included Assiniboine, International Basin) I left my 20 and 13 year olds babysitting again and went for a ski. Almost made it to Asulkan Hut in winter wonderland. Absolutely gorgeous out there. Probably 25 cm of fresh snow by this time; deep powder that felt more like 40 cm higher up.

After returning, I had a quick lunch and we left the hut around 3:30. Only the Flukers had their gear in the hut at that time (they were still out skiing), all the others left by then. The hike out was very relaxing and beautiful. Car was buried in snow in the parking lot... It never really stopped snowing since we left, what a great week-end!

The drive home was bad though, accident after Rogers Pass (semi-truck and SUV head-on, semi lost its front wheel... hope they are OK; no congestion though) and then icy roads at long stretches. Dry after Banff. Well, hopefully everyone made it back home safely... Disappointingly snow free in Calgary as my daughter noted. When can we go back next?

Ferenc Jacso
Fresh Poster
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2014/11/24 12:45 By 59537.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Wheeler Hut Family Week-end 3 Years, 8 Months ago  
Sounds like a great trip. Really interesting to hear about what happens on a family friendly trip. Glad to here that it is snowing, Elk lakes had a base of 2-10 cm depending on what side of the divide you are on.
Matthew Breakey
Admin
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop