• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Trip Report - Elk Lakes Hut Cleaning
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Trip Report - Elk Lakes Hut Cleaning
Trip Report - Elk Lakes Hut Cleaning 3 Years, 9 Months ago  
I'm not known for being neat and tidy. I don't really find time to clean my house when I could be spending time doing pretty much anything else (just ask my wife). So, I was pretty surprised when I voluntarily put my name on the list for fall cleaning at the Elk Lakes Hut.

Paul brought the idea up to National, and they gave a hut to each section to take care of this fall in exchange for food and free lodging. Of the 9 people who signed up, not a single person had ever been to Elk Lakes. I originally thought it was bizarre, why would anyone take ownership of a hut they have never been too?

I now realize it was brilliant idea. I had a lot of fun, I meet interesting people, I did something useful, and I spent a weekend in the mountains at minimal cost. It turns out, people like helping out when there is a need. It was neat to meet Neil, one of the ACC's roving hut custodians, a very interesting fellow and a guy who loves his job taking care of the huts. I have more respect for the hut system now that I have seen how much other Calgary section members care. I'm still a proponent for simple huts (or a least some simple huts out of the fleet). However, I better understand how the operators of the huts want to make them as nice as they possibly can, even at an operating loss. The ACC hut system is something to be proud of. This is reflected in how busy the huts are and the fact that many huts are booked solid for their primary season.

I really like the sense of community that this type of trip fosters. I really hope this happens again next fall, but maybe to one of the other huts?
Matthew Breakey
Admin
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop