• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Ghost - May 24 & 25
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Ghost - May 24 & 25
Ghost - May 24 & 25 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
Charlie, a keg of beer and myself will be heading into the Ghost for May 24 & 25. Will be camping in the South Ghost Saturday night. We have two spots in the truck and would like to meet up with anyone else for climbing and/or dinner and/or beer.
Matthew Breakey
Admin
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ghost - May 24 & 25 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
How did it go? Could you drive down "big hill" and cross the river bed? Planning on heading in there next weekend with a 4Runner. Heading for Johnson Canyon (valley north of Devil's Thumb) so a better approach might be along the Waiparous valley.
John Abraham
Fresh Poster

Re:Ghost - May 24 & 25 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
We made it about half way to STD wall with a stock 4-runner. Water level was high and a bit of rain can make a big difference. I'm going to guess that water levels will be in the same range as I experienced last weekend over the coming week.
Matthew Breakey
Admin

Re:Ghost - May 24 & 25 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
The Ghost is a wild frontier. The only rules in force are those of nature, and they are consistently enforced. The area is unpredictable, and therefore was not a trip I could post to the event calendar based on historic expectations of a "Trip Leader", so I did the next best thing and posted it to the forum and hoped for the best. Charlie and I found another 2 people and a dog to fill our 4-runner and we were off, sorta. Number 4 was new to the area and didn't realize the true nature of the Ghost, and due to logistical problems, had to drop out. So we were three to be eating food for four - I didn't complain.

The road to the top of the big hill is excellent, but ends abruptly in a rather large river. The Ghost river is no longer a ghost, but a real live river that filled out the normally very empty river bed. The first vehicle we encountered was parked to the side, steam rising from the engine and the hood open. The driver had followed the normal route and drove into the silty water without checking the water depth first. Once stuck, water was apparently over the hood and filled the cab with a foot of water. The truck had to be rescued from the depths of the river.

Not deterred, we headed downstream to find a less deep option. After crossing the river on foot, I found a wide section where the water was never more than half a meter. I was convinced it would go, the other occupants of the vehicle not so much. With cameras rolling, I gave it a go and ended up safely on the other side. Safely on the other side may not be the correct choice of words since we still needed to cross back to get home. A problem for another day.

We drove into the North Ghost for another 2 km and stopped just before another river crossing. We were in a nice area to camp, so we figured it was most time efficient to park and walk. Three river crossings by foot later, all significantly more challenging than the first, we were at STD wall. Surprisingly, we had the entire place to ourselves. Coming home, we discovered we only needed to cross the river once near the STD wall if you stay on the west shore of the river. After our return, we enjoyed BBQed salmon, potatoes smothered in cheese, drank draft beer chilled in the river and enjoyed thousands of acres of beautiful mountain wilderness to ourselves.

The following day was started with bacon and pancakes. What could go wrong? I guess we were on the wrong side of the river and there were rain clouds pilling up from the west, but maple syrup! Although we came to climb, we decided that a scramble/hike was likely the safest option. Since we were alone on the wrong side of the river, it was likely a good idea to leave a bit earlier than climbing would allow. We made it to the top of Black Rock just as it started snowing (pretty well beaten trail if you can get to it) and back to the car to find the river level had actually dropped. Heading home was easy and we stopped to chat to some fellows that had driven in to start their approach to climbing in the Ghost at 15:00, we wished them luck.
Matthew Breakey
Admin

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop