• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Meeting people for simple touring
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Meeting people for simple touring
Meeting people for simple touring 4 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hi there. What's the best way to meet other members for simple and/or easier AT ski touring? Last year I couldn't participate in any of the "events", partly because so many were big trips requiring significant vacation time and/or waking up at 4AM and sweating hard until 9PM. This year is likely to be similar, I suppose, unless someone arranges some simpler and/or "easier" events.

I'd like to be able to go out for an afternoon at Sunshine Meadows, or for a day at Black Prince. For camaraderie and safety I'd like to go with ACC members know what they are doing.

About me: I've been skiing since I was a child (I'm 47 now) and have AST level 1, but most of my experience is either cross-country, light-touring or alpine resort skiing. I'm not that interested in huge ascents or huge descents (that's what the resort is for, in my mind); I'm more into traverses or some simple turns.

--
John
John Abraham
Fresh Poster
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Meeting people for simple touring 4 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hi John,

I'd suggest keeping your eyes peeled for the first postings of the BITS (back country introduction to skiing) program that we have each year. Not a ton of sweat involved - at least at first - and it is tailored pretty much precisely for folk of your ilk.

Otherwise, we do have some events of the caliber that you're looking for. From my memory they come up relatively regularly. If you receive our notifications - Log in --> Account --> Preferences - you'll get an email announcing those. www.acccalgary.ca/events.html

Also, come out to our Section meetings to meet other members. Introduce yourself to someone near the door or anyone who doesn't look disorientated. We are trying to be more effective at identifying newcomers at our meetings. Our next one on September 17th should be a good one. Check the event schedule and www.acccalgary.ca/club-activities/regular-events.html

Regards,
David
David Roe
Administrator

Re: Meeting people for simple touring 4 Years, 8 Months ago  
Thanks David.

I'd like to (help) organize some "Sunshine Meadows Saturdays" and/or "Sunshine Meadows Sundays" this year, with the Rocky Mountain Section and/or the Calgary Section. I'll email Ian Curran to see what's involved. I'll be heading out from the Java Lift coffee shop around 10AM anyways, we might as well make it an event and invite others.
John Abraham
Fresh Poster

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop