Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

Beginner friendly scrambles?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Beginner friendly scrambles?
Beginner friendly scrambles? 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
Hi All,

Recently moved to Calgary from Vancouver and I'm trying to get up to speed on what's what out here.

I'm looking for a couple of reasonably beginner friendly scrambles to take a lady friend on. She hasn't quite mastered the fine art of suffering yet, so I'm trying to keep things at least somewhat reasonable.

So, can anyone recommend a couple of 3rd class scrambles that are preferably easy to retreat from and aren't too much of a slog fest? I put her range at about 800-1000m elevation in a day before she starts getting overly grumpy.

If I was on the coast something like Needle Peak would be the no-brainer answer, but I'm not really clear on what the analogue out here is.

Speaking of which, is there a scrambles guide book for the area that people particularly like or recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Phil
Phil Tomlinson
Junior Poster
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Beginner friendly scrambles? 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
Phil,

I'm potentially the worst person to respond, but I want to make sure you get something before the weekend.

Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies (version 1) is considered the scramblers bible. There should be a copy in the Library.

Short Scramble: Heart Mountain, how can you go wrong bringing your Lady Friend up a mountain in the shape of a heart? There is one steep step, but my dog made it.

Medium Scramble: Yamnuska Traverse is a Rockies classic. Has some really cool sections and views and an amazing scree descent. I have only done it down from the summit east and down from the summit west, and never in the up direction or as a traverse. I would do it in the direction that allows you to decent the scree slope (west to east) although there are likely other recommendations.

Long Scramble: Temple is much longer than requested and has a lot of scree bashing. However, it is a really big mountain with amazing views and is relatively easy. There is likely some snow after today, but was reported as dry not very long ago. I have only done the scramble down and in the middle of the night, so again, my advice is probably suspect.

Good luck, hopefully someone who knows much more than me responds.
Matthew Breakey
Admin

Re:Beginner friendly scrambles? 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
I guess I should specify that it's not actually for this weekend but instead for a vague 'future trip' type thing. This weekend will be spent kayaking and lounging in hot springs in the interior.

I've been politely informed that since I travel a huge amount during the week I'm expected to do the occasional beginner friendly trip with the lady friend instead of simply always ditching her in the city while I go off and get horrifyingly sunburned.

We did a weekend trip to Ribbon Lake which went pretty well, so I'm looking to up the difficulty a couple of notches.

Your suggestions sound pretty solid though, and I'll round up a copy of that book. Thanks!
Phil Tomlinson
Junior Poster

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop