• ACC Calgary
Welcome, Guest
Please Login    Lost Password?

8th Annual Powder Review
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: 8th Annual Powder Review
8th Annual Powder Review 5 Years, 9 Months ago  
The powder review is a semi-scientific process where highly accredited snow testers from the ACC disguise their true identifies and test the powder menu at Rogers Pass. The disguises this year was super heroes, complete with capes and far too tight body suits. There are a few testers who wore disguises that will make me reconsider sharing a small bivy ledge with them, better to find this out now than later. To maintain objectivity, there are ~30 testers of varying demographic and varying degrees of suit slipperiness. Some (Al Fortune), had a suit that was so slippery, it would be illegal in Olympic competition. Others (Paul OBK), where dressed in soft, plush and pink cotton that would stick fast onto anything resembling Velcro (for example unshaven snow testers or cedar branches).

The majority of the items on the Rogers Pass menu were reviewed including; Grizzly Shoulder, Puff Daddy, Balu Pass, NRC Gulleys, Avalanche Crest, Dome Glacier, Seven Steps of Paradise, Young's Peak, Terminal Col, Pearly Rock and Smart Peak (Flat Creek).

All items were found to be at least satisfactory with many slopes described as "Woo hoooo!", "Ha ha haaa haaa!" and "Yehay" (direct quotes). I sampled just over 7000 m over 4 days and most areas and would concur with all assessments. A few blisters resulted from excessive testing, but thanks to Captain Polysporene, all evil was banished and more good turns were had.

The group dinner on Saturday was especially good and thank you to all those who worked much harder than me to prepare it. My one contribution was to light the zucchini on fire, but I was able to bluff my way out of this accident by just yelling "flambé!". The sticky toffee pudding was amazing, especially for breakfast. I will have to confess that I had my sticky toffee pudding for breakfast because I passed out from powder over-consumption (the beer might have helped) in between dinner and when the true superheroes had their desert. This means that someone else will have to report about the super hero games.

I hope everyone had as good a powder review as I did. Due to high demand for the powder review, I'm considering holding a sister powder review in Nelson next year. I promise to stay up past 22:00. Plan would be to book out as big a chunk of the Dancing Bear Hostel as we can fill and ski for 3.5 days. The drive is about 8 hours, so would involve leaving at noon on the first day, skiing for 3.5 days and driving back at the end. If anyone is interested, please let me know in the near future. Replying to this post would work.
Matthew Breakey
Admin
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:8th Annual Powder Review 5 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hi Folks, Andre has some photos to share, follow this skydrive link:

sdrv.ms/YOONQi

Thanks for the fun weekend!

Paul O'BK
Paul O'Brien-Kelly
Fresh Poster
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2013/02/24 10:23 By 33490.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop